The Kahnawà:ke Legislative Coordinating Commission would like to inform the community of the confirmation of Categorization for proposed Cannabis legislation as Type II (laws that are regulatory in
nature) in the Community Decision Making Process.
The KLCC had received two (2) proposals for legislation (the Cannabis Act and the Cannabis Control Law). By process, the KLCC must submit a Request for Categorization to Chief & Council for all proposals for legislation. This took place on 6, Kentenhkó:wa/November 2017 and was confirmed by a vote of 11 to 1 (with Ratsénhaienhs Carl Horn objecting).
The next steps will see the Technical Drafting Committee meeting to:
- Define the Scope of the proposed legislation;
- Have the Scope approved by Chief & Council, which will allow for the
Confirmation of the Mandate;
- Ensure that a Political Assessment has been completed and presented to Chief
& Council for approval. (This is conducted by the Office of the Council of Chiefs);
- Conduct Consultations with the Community and Stakeholders;
- Create an official Draft for posting online. This Draft will then be brought to the
Community through the Community Decision Making Process.
For clarity, please note that only one proposed law will go through the Community
Decision Making Process. More information on this will be forthcoming.
For further information on the proposed legislation, please contact:
Kenitsénhaienhs Gina Deer or Rhonda Kirby
For further information on the process, please contact:
Leslie Skye, Coordinator
Kahnawà:ke Legislative Coordinating Commission